Norman Brearley's "Western Australian Airways"
operated the first flight on the Adelaide / Perth route 2 June 1929, using DH66
Hercules. [AHSA Newsletter March 1999]
The early route was Adelaide, Ceduna, Forrest,
Kalgoorlie and Perth. The route involved refuelling at Ceduna, Forrest and
Kalgoorlie. A hot lunch was at Ceduna, evening meal, overnight accommodation and
hot breakfast at Forrest and the final catered food service at Kalgoorlie.
This route was still used in the 1960's. The
only real difference was by the 1960's the towns had become navigation waypoints
instead of refuelling points. Kalgoorlie was still used as a reserve fuel
location for westbound traffic if the headwinds were too strong.
The use of Great Circle type routes over the
Great Australian Bight came with aircraft equipped with larger fuel tanks.
Direct Perth to Sydney / Melbourne traffic used these routes as well.