South Australian state owned railway
In the 1970's it became a part of Commonwealth Railways, the Federal Government owned group
that operated the desert routes across the Nullarbor Plain to Kalgoorlie and up
to Alice Springs. They changed names to Australian National as well as taking
over rail operations in Tasmania. In 1997 they were sold with the SA Rail Business
passing to the Genesee & Wyoming [G&W] consortium which also contains
the Transfield group as well as Clyde engineering. The Clyde group builds GM
locos in Australia. The G&W consortium will operate the SA freight traffic.
ALCO "World" type as
for NSW 44 Class. 1600 HP. The earlier units, #930-935 did
not have the later NSW 44 Class modification of a full cab
in #2 end. Fleet #930-966. Originally for 5ft 3in gauge but later used on
standard gauge to Broken Hill as well. Used on express passenger as well as
freighters. Out of service mid 1990's.
Class. Built by Goodwin, Sydney. #600-06. Used as per 930 class on similar
services and gauges.
442 Class. Built by AE Goodwin, Sydney. #700-705. Used as per 930 class on similar services and gauges.
Class. Built by AE Goodwin. #830-873. Some used in Tasmania following the
amalgamation with Commonwealth Railways /Australian National. Some still in
service 1997. As well as swapping between the usual 5 ft 3 in / standard
gauges, 830 class also operate on 3ft 6 in track in some regions of the state.